MONUMENT OF THE SOLDIERS FALLEN IN COMBAT DURING THE AFRICAN WAR

Located in Plaza de África, it was built in remembrance of the soldiers fallen in combat during the African War, which took place between 1859 and 1860, and has a crypt in its lower part that houses the remains of the soldiers who fought in this war.


It is thirteen and a half metres high and built of stone from the San Amaro quarry, under the supervision of the military engineer, José de la Madrid. There are some bronze reliefs by Susillos, an artist from Seville, in the base of the monument depicting some events that occurred during this war. This work is a memorial to the heroism of General Prim and the Catalan volunteers who accompanied him.

 

This monument was unveiled on 4 May 1895 and this day was a holiday because the remains of the soldiers that were going to be buried in the crypt were delivered to army representatives by the City Council, the procession moving through the streets of Ceuta, with honours of GeneralCaptain, as far as Plaza de África. The urns contained, among others, lieutenant colonels José Villa y Pérez and Antonio Piniés, heads of the battalions of the Vergara and Madrid Hunters, as well as other heroic soldiers.

NUMBER 3 LANDMARK IN

OUR PRINTED TOURISTY MAP

(Tourist Information Offices)

 

AUDIOGUIDE

Plaza de África, s/n.

1/1

SERVICIOS TURÍSTICOS DE CEUTA / TOURIST SERVICES OF CEUTA

Dirección / Adress: C/Edrissis, s/n. Baluarte de los Mallorquines - C.P.: 51001, CEUTA - ESPAÑA (Spain)

Tel.: (+34) 856 200 560 / Fax: (+34) 856 200 565 / Email: turismo@ceuta.es