OTRAS WALLS

THE CITY WALLS

The city walls show us the historical evolution of Ceuta through the various transformations it underwent in its defensive structure; in particular we should point out the transformations due to the Portuguese conquest in 1415 and the reconstruction ordered after the disastrous storm in the 17th century that destroyed the city walls.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Some stretches of the wall near the Mallorquines Fortress are from the original design built in the 10th century by Abd al-Rahman III.

Avda. Juan Pablo II y C/ Independencia

AUDIOGUIDE

THE MARINID WALLS

The Afrag or Al-Mansura, the Royal Encampment, was founded in 1328 by sultan Abú Said. Its location was chosen for its strategic geographic position and the fact it was near a river, the Fes stream, which was also used as a natural defence and a source of supplies of building materials, and as a supply of water for the settlers in the fortress. Its construction was based on the Fes al-Jadid programme (“New Fes”) and was designed as the residence of the sultan and his followers.

 

The facilities of the Afrag are completed by baths, various mosques and the main or largest one has a magnificent minaret, corn exchanges and dwellings for the sultan’s service staff. Nowadays, it represents the best example of preserved Marinid architecture in Spain and a magnificent example of medieval defensive architecture. Admission is free since the whole route is around the outside of the walls.

C/ Pedro la Mata, s/n.

1/2

SERVICIOS TURÍSTICOS DE CEUTA / TOURIST SERVICES OF CEUTA

Dirección / Adress: C/Edrissis, s/n. Baluarte de los Mallorquines - C.P.: 51001, CEUTA - ESPAÑA (Spain)

Tel.: (+34) 856 200 560 / Fax: (+34) 856 200 565 / Email: turismo@ceuta.es